Maritime Safety , Security and Technology

53 Migrants, Including Two Babies, Dead or Missing after Dinghy Capsizes off Libya

At least 53 migrants, including two infants, are dead or missing after a large rubber dinghy capsized off the coast of Libya, the UN migration agency said on Monday, marking another deadly incident in the central Mediterranean Sea.

According to the International Organization for Migration (IOM), the overcrowded vessel overturned in freezing waters north of the coastal town of Zuwara last Friday. The boat had departed from Zawiya at around 11:00 p.m. on Thursday and began taking on water approximately six hours later before capsizing.

Libyan authorities rescued two Nigerian women from the shipwreck, IOM reported. One survivor said her husband drowned, while the other stated that both of her babies died in the incident.

Survivors told aid workers that the vessel was carrying migrants and refugees from several African countries. While the intended destination has not been confirmed, many boats departing Libya attempt the dangerous crossing to the Italian island of Lampedusa, located about 350 kilometres (220 miles) from Zawiya. UN agencies have repeatedly warned that the open rubber dinghies commonly used for these journeys are entirely unsuitable for such long and hazardous sea crossings.

The tragedy comes amid a surge in deadly incidents during severe winter weather. IOM data shows that at least 375 people were reported dead or missing in the central Mediterranean in January alone. The agency warned that many more shipwrecks may go unrecorded.

IOM said smuggling and human trafficking networks continue to exploit desperate people by sending them to sea in unseaworthy boats, renewing calls for stronger international cooperation and the expansion of safe, legal migration pathways.

So far this year, 781 migrants have been intercepted and returned to Libya, including 244 people in the past week alone, the agency said. This compares with 27,116 interceptions recorded last year, along with 1,314 reported deaths or missing persons.

The UN agency reiterated that Libya is not considered a safe port for migrants, highlighting ongoing abuses. Recent investigations revealed that migrants had been held in captivity and subjected to torture to extort ransom payments from their families, following the discovery of mass graves and illegal detention sites in eastern Libya.

Related:1 Dead, 6 Fishermen Missing After Gloucester Fishing Vessel Sinks in Freezing Atlantic Waters

In Ajdabiya, authorities uncovered an illegal detention facility where victims were allegedly tortured. In Kufra, an underground detention site three metres below ground was discovered, leading to the release of 221 migrants and refugees, including women, children, and a one-month-old baby. IOM said initial findings suggest the detainees were held for prolonged periods in grossly inhumane conditions.

To assist vulnerable migrants, IOM continues to support voluntary humanitarian return flights. This included a recent flight for Pakistani nationals from Tripoli and another in late January that helped 177 Nigerian migrants return home. The agency also works with national and regional authorities to strengthen cross-border cooperation aimed at dismantling trafficking networks and supporting survivors.