Maritime Safety , Security and Technology

India Presses Iran for Consular Access to 16 Indian Crew Members Detained at Sea

India has intensified diplomatic efforts to secure consular access for 16 Indian nationals detained by Iranian authorities after their vessel was seized last month, amid growing concern from families and legal action in Indian courts.

The Indian Embassy in Tehran on Saturday formally urged Iran to grant immediate consular access to the crew members of the tanker MT Valiant Roar, who were detained by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) on December 8, 2025.

According to the embassy, the detained Indians were part of the crew of MT Valiant Roar, a vessel owned by Glory International FZ LLC / Prime Tankers LLC, Dubai, also known in India as Global Tankers. Family members said the vessel was intercepted while sailing in international waters off the Dibba port near Dubai.

The ship was reportedly carrying Very Low Sulphur Fuel Oil (VLSFO). However, Iranian authorities have accused the crew of diesel smuggling, an allegation contested by the families.

In a statement posted on X (formerly Twitter), the Indian Embassy said it was informed in mid-December about the vessel’s detention and confirmed that 16 Indian crew members were on board at the time. The Indian Consulate in Bandar Abbas formally sought consular access on December 14, but access has not been granted despite repeated requests.

The embassy added that the Indian Consulate in Dubai has been engaging with the UAE-based ship-owning company since December 15, urging it to provide legal assistance to the detained crew. Indian officials have also requested Iranian authorities to allow the crew to communicate with their families in India.

Indian diplomats said they are coordinating with the company’s Iran-based agents to ensure the crew receives essential supplies, including food, water, and fuel, and to arrange legal representation in Iranian courts.

While acknowledging that the case will proceed under Iran’s legal system, the embassy stressed that it continues to push for early consular access and a swift conclusion of judicial proceedings.

The diplomatic appeal follows a petition filed by the families of the detained crew members in the Delhi High Court, seeking directions to the Union government to secure consular access, expedite the investigation, and ensure the safe repatriation of the sailors.

On Thursday, the High Court issued a notice to the Union government. The case is scheduled for hearing on January 21, according to petitioners’ counsel Gurinder Pal Singh.

Meanwhile, the parents of one detained sailor, Ketan Mehta, have appealed directly to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, urging him to intervene diplomatically to secure their son’s release.